Make your own free website on

101. The original four interrogators then repeated the fictional Parvez `story' to me and made me repeat it to them, again and again, all the while reminding me that my perception of things had been wrong, that I had forgotten and that they were helping to rehabilitate me and to remind me, insisting that those in a homosexual relationship cannot give it up.

102. At one point in their haranguing and their suggestions that I was a homosexual I asked if they knew biology and suggested a medical examination would confirm homosexuality.  They ignored this and for a long time made me talk about the male and female sex organs. They wanted graphics and made me draw these, over and over. They talked incessantly about anal sex, giving me extensive biological details about the size and shape of the penis in relation to the male anus.

103. They switched, as they pleased, between graphical and explicit sexual details and threats to me and my family's future, between the good of Malaysia and Anwar being a threat to the country, between prolonged detention for me and the promise of non-disturbed sleep, between being a destitute and penniless and a golden future in a new Malaysia rid of Anwar,  between Pakistani society's repressed sexual urges and University sexual exploits in the US that they had read about in magazines.

104. They wanted details of University sexual activities in the US and when I had none to give, refused to take no for an answer. They claimed they knew all about what happened in Universities in the US, that the girls did nothing but  `screw' all day and all night long, that sex was cheap and easy and free there. They insisted, again and again, that I had a free sex life there. They suggested, in turn, the umber of times I had sex a day. One of them would suggest twice daily, then the next would increase to three, the third  officer would suggest five times. They settled finally on 5 to 6 times a day and kept on repeating the numbers, asking me to tell them, to tell them, to agree, to agree until in desperation I nodded my head even though nothing like this had happened. And immediately the let-up in their intensity of questioning and the comment, "See we told you. It is there in you. Your perception of things is wrong. We are helping you." A cigarette from the black pack was always given to me a as reward whenever I gave in to them.

105. Then they would start again. Again the same style, the same repetitive questioning. This time they would ask for details of oral sex in US Universities. They would describe it and then expect me to endorse things. They asked for names. I had none to give and they wouldn't accept that. They said I had to give them names. I gave them a fictional name `Joe', and once again there was an immediate but momentary let-up in intensity. And then they wanted more details about  `Joe' and I had to make them up. When I did so they gave me a cigarette as a reward. The cigarettes always had an unusual taste.

106. A long time after `Joe' was created they stopped and after blindfolding and handcuffing me they sent me back to the cell. Their parting words to me were that Anwar had brought me to Malaysia to `screw' him, that I should think about that, that they would see me soon. They shouted `fuck Anwar' and sent me off.

107. I had by now no idea of what day or date it was. I had no idea of the time. My last sight of sunshine or the sky had been when I was brought back from the Kuala Lumpur General Hospital. My passage of time was regulated by the knocks on my cell door, my hasty scurried baths, the scanty breakfasts I was given, the dreaded journey up the 50 steps and the interminable long hours in that room with my interrogators.

108. My division of days in this statement is by the number of `breakfasts' I was served.

109. There was no sleep huddled on that wooden platform in my cell.

110. The ritual hurried bath, accompanied by abuse and rough handling, and the tea and slice of dangled bread came soon after I was returned to the cell.

111. Then there was the same knock, the call of my number  `26', the blindfold, the handcuffs and the long climb back to the interrogation chamber.

112. This time there was one Chinese interrogator in the room. He was alone and he started the interrogation before the others came by once again taking down my particulars and then questioning me on the Journal that I had been editing.

113. Shortly after that a second interrogator came in and cut into the questioning by lecturing me on culture, ideology and religion. He said that he was educating me. When he tired the Chinese officer took over and went back to the Journal. They switched between the Journal, the lectures, my role to Malaysia, the needs of my family, my status, and the cancellation of my detention order.

114. The other two came in progressively and took their seats. There was an immediate warning when all four were there that I was wasting their time and that I had to get on with things, to move on, that their senior officer was waiting for results. They repeatedly warned me that my  detention order under the Internal Security Act was ready.

115. They asked for dates and times of sexual encounters. I had none to give. They became angry and abusive and threatening. They went back to sex in the US and asked for more names.

116. I fabricated an `Andre'. There was again a momentary let-up in the interrogation, again a statement about my perceptions being wrong, that I had forgotten, that they were reminding me and correcting them, again a warning that if I concentrated the pattern would surface, that I had to have a tendency towards homosexuality. They nodded in agreement,  smiled, gave me a cigarette, claimed to know about this fictitious `Andre' and said that they had been told about  `Andre' by the US agents then in Kuala Lumpur. 117. `Andre' was someone created by me that morning in absolute desperation.

118. This went on for a long time.

119. Sometime during the interrogation they brought me a packet of the same rice and peculiar tasting fried fish that I had been given previously. All the rice meals they gave me tasted `off' and made me uncomfortable and `woozy'. I ate what little I could of it but the questioning continued even during that.

120. They then introduced the previous session's sexual  scenario into the interrogation and started pressurizing me for details. When I had none to give they asked that I think about them while they waited for their senior officer to come back. In the meantime they went into other details and descriptions of oral sex.

121. Then the reverted back to their pattern of interrogation but now began to concentrate more on Anwar. They reminded me again and again that Anwar was a homosexual, that I had `fucked' him, that they had proof of it. They opened a bag,  took out some photographs and threw them on the table. These were normal regular photographs. Two were of me, one alone and one with a person known as Khalid Jaffar. There was another photograph of a person they said was `Mior'. I did not know this `Mior'.

122. I remember two of the interrogators leaving at one point and then returning and bringing with them some of my written work taken from my house. One of them made an immediate threat when he came in that I was playing tricks on them. He claimed that he had tried printing material from a disk taken from my house and was unable to do so because I had hidden the material. I denied this, telling him that he had been probably unable to read the file. He warned that the detention order was still pending.

123. Suddenly one of the four screamed at me to stand up. I did so. All four came from behind the table and surrounded me in a very aggressive manner as if they were about to assault me. One of them literally had his face in mine. They all screamed at me, in my ears, loudly, again and again and again, that I had fucked Anwar, fucked Anwar, fucked, fucked, Anwar, Anwar. They screamed and screamed and screamed, in my ears, at my face, at me, again and again, over and over asking me to say `yes' until I gave in and broke down saying yes, yes. They stopped screaming. That was what they wanted to hear. They were not interested that it was untrue.

124. They gave me a cigarette and allowed me to smoke it.

125. The interrogation continued.

126. There were frequent interruptions between the interrogators. They kept switching topics.

127. Whenever it suited them I was made to lie on the floor and simulate anal sex with Anwar. I was asked to alternate as if I was on top of Anwar and then Anwar on top of me.

128. All this was humiliating, and depressing and degrading. It descended into vulgarity both in their actions and in their words. But they never stopped. They embarrassed me,  ridiculed me, laughed at me, claimed I had a prized arse,  reminded me that not many people in the world had the  privilege of `screwing' and being `screwed' by a Deputy Prime Minister.

129. These were all lies but I had to suffer them, listen to them.

130. They repeatedly drilled into my mind that my perceptions were wrong, that they were educating me, rehabilitating me,  showing me how I was helping Malaysia and my family, that my only way out from there was to give them what the nation needed.

131. They came back to the issue of sex and placed the photograph of `Mior' on the table. They asked for details of  the man. I told them that I did not know him. They said I had `screwed' Mior. I denied that.

132. They went back to Anwar and anal sex and my perceptions.  Step by step, by alternately shouting and screaming and  questioning, by cajoling and threatening, by warnings about detention and my family, they made repeat after them again and again, that I had engaged in sexual misconduct with Anwar  on several occasions. They made me say that I was sorry about  it all, that I was ashamed and repented that all this had  happened. At stages they would stop to ensure that the information had been drilled into me and would then continue. They made me say that I was forced into it because I feared for my job and that if I refused Anwar's advances my  employment would be in jeopardy, that I would lose important financial resources. They made me say that it hurt me a lot that this kind of behavior was coming from a person who claimed to be a pious Muslim and that he had betrayed a lot of Muslims in this country and the whole Muslim world who had looked up to him as an inspiring leader. They made me say that every time I engaged in this act it was a disgusting experience for me. These were all lies made up by the ISA  officers.

133. They wanted to fix details and asked me to choose a month. I could not because there had never been any homosexual relationship between me and Anwar. There was nothing for me to choose. They said they would help and then started going through my work in Malaysia. They went through the details; that I first met Anwar in 1984; that I first came to Malaysia in 1986; that I only visited in 1986, 1987 and 1988; that I first began living in Malaysia in 1988. My interrogators were struggling to fix a time. My interrogators settled on March 1993 because in their interrogations they determined that after 1993 my speech-writing activities for Anwar were reduced considerably. This was because Anwar  became the Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister and his  emphasis was more on finance and I could not help. Sometimes when an intellectual speech was to be made, a draft would be axed to me and I would edit it.

134. They knew from their interrogation of me that in 1993 I  lived at Bukit Damansara with my wife and children.

135. So they picked the month - it would be March 1993. I  traveled a lot at that time and hoped, to myself, that I had been abroad in March 1993 - I could have been in New Delhi, or Casablanca or in Qatar for a conference or back to my home in the US. I did not tell them this.

136. They determined for the purposes of their fabricated version that Anwar would call me over for a chat, that this would be about a week or 10 days after he became DPM, that I would go over, that this would be my last informal contact with him.

137. Then there would be the demand that I endlessly repeat the details they had settled on until they were drilled into me.

138. And so it went on and on until they had made up the whole story. There was no rest for me, no let up in the intensity of their interrogation.

139. When they were finally satisfied with my repetition of the details they switched back to telling me that the higher authorities had been contacted about me, that they were happy with my co-operation and performance. They offered me a   cigarette and then left me alone in the room for a short  while.

140. A little later another officer walked in. This was the person who eventually took me to see a magistrate for a statement to be recorded from me. He was very stern when he walked in. He shouted at me to stand up. I did so. He came and stood in front of me. He said that they were canceling my identity card, that steps had been taken to send me to the detention center and then eventually to deport me. He declared that my US citizenship was in serious jeopardy and that the US agents in Malaysia looking into things had  decided to revoke it. My family had been told to pack up. He warned me that I had nothing left unless I agreed to serv the country, that I had only one option and that was to co-operate with them. He then started on a very emotional speech about loving Malaysia, about sacrifices, about fighting for and giving one's life in defense of Malaysia, about defending Malaysia, about going to jail for Malaysia.  He screamed at me whether I was prepared to do all that. He  screamed `answer, answer, answer.' I was stunned and all I  could say was `yes, yes, yes'. He thumped his shoes on the floor, raised his arm in the air and shouted `Hidup Malaysia'  and then turned and walked out.

141. I stood rooted to the floor and was still standing when the four interrogators walked back in. They asked me to sit and told me I had done a good job. They offered me a cigarette and told me that it was only 4 to 5 months and that I shouldn't worry. This was the first time there had been any  mention of these 4 to 5 months and I asked them what they meant. They said that was the sentence I would get. I  protested but they said I was not to worry. They offered me another cigarette and laughed and said I had a great `cock'.

142. The earlier officer walked back in again. He asked me to stand again and told me that he had spoken to his seniors and everything had to be done that day, that night. He was waiting for his senior officers to arrive. He left the room in the same way, a thump with his feet on the floor, a raised arm and a screamed `Hidup Malaysia'.

143. A little later he returned and spoke privately to the four interrogators. Two of the four then left the room. At this point four new officers walked in. I had never seen them before. All those in the room saluted the four newcomers.  Three of the newcomers went and sat in the chairs that had  been originally occupied by the four interrogators. One of  the four stood near the door. The `Hidup Malaysia' officer also remained standing. The remaining two original  interrogators now left the room, shutting the door behind them. The others addressed the man who sat in the middle as `Dato'.

144. This `Dato' spoke first in a cold tone. He started by telling me that they were after Anwar and that they wanted him. He said that Anwar had done great damage to the nation and that I could help them a lot by agreeing to admit to a homosexual liaison with Anwar. He added that this would be a service to the nation and would be a sacrifice for which I  would be handsomely rewarded, that all my problems would be resolved, that I would be given Malaysian citizenship, that I  would be given very well paid jobs and more importantly that I would be a free man and that my family would remain intact.  He assured me that they would liase with the US agents to  resolve my US citizenship status satisfactorily. He said that his officers had told him I had agreed to die for the nation but that he had no desire to punish me since I was a victim of Anwar's lust and after all what was 4 to 5 months when compared to death. He concluded by telling me that by helping them to get Anwar I was helping to rid the nation of a traitor and that they were after Anwar and not me.

145. The man on the Dato's left then took over. He said that they would arrange for me to be taken to make a statement of a sexual liaison with Anwar and that things would be all right after that. He said that they would make all these arrangements subtly, that their officer would brief me further on the language but that they could not come into the picture as otherwise Anwar and his men would accuse the police. He made no mention of court proceedings, of a sentence or of a jail though he kept assuring me to believe in them and to trust that they would look after all of my and my family's needs. They consoled me that my wife could call  on them for help at any time and that my safety and that of  my family was their main concern.

146. I was numb from fear and worry.

147. When he was finished the three seated officers stood up.  The junior officers saluted, everyone of them shouted `Hidup  Malaysia' and they all left.

148. This must have been very late into the night. I was left  alone for a few minutes. Then all the four interrogators walked in. One came over and slapped me on my back and said  that I had done a good job and that they could now `fuck'  Anwar Ibrahim.

149. One of the four interrogators left the room. A little later he returned with their `senior' officer. The senior officer told me that he was happy with me and that my NRIC would not be canceled. He added that he would discuss the details of the matter with his seniors and would come back to me but that in the meantime I should think about things and should rest.

150. I was then blindfolded and handcuffed and taken down the 50 steps and returned to my cell.